Monday, August 23, 2010

Cleaning

We've started to clean with natural products and natural ways. We found this amazing book called Green Clean by Linda Mason Hunter and Mikki Halpin. This book is wonderful! It discuses the basic ingredients you need and simple ways to clean it.

Basic Ingredients:
  • Baking Soda
  • Vinegar
  • Castile Soap(made with olive oil)
  • Barax
And other Ingredients that you could live without but are helpful are:

  • Washing Soda(Like really strong Baking soda)
  • Murphy's Oil soap(It's made with vegetable oil)
  • Club Soda
I love how she says that you can buy non toxic cleaners. Her mane attack is on the Chemicals in cleaners. Here's a great line from the book:

"A simple rule of clean up: If something makes you eyes tear, your nose crinkle, or your skin itch, get rid of it. "

I think most cleaning products will do at least one of those!

So, these are just some of my ramblings, what are some things you have found effective in cleaning that are toxin free?

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Thank you for posting this! I was wondering how to make my own cleaner...I really don't like using the chemically stuff.

For example, I lived in the college dorms and they give you the "magic pink cleaner" to do white glove checks. I was wearing two pairs of gloves, and that stuff burned a hole in both!! Scary.

I like to use stuff by "Maid Naturally." The ingredients are similar to some of the ones you posted (they add oils to theirs), but they are all-natural, and they smell really pleasant (mint glass cleaner--delightful!).

We also use Bio-Kleen. It's pretty good, too. Their fabric refresher makes everything smell like a cottage from a Beatrix Potter story.

We buy our stuff in bulk, but I'm not sure how much they cost at the store.

Thanks again for putting this up!