Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Word of Wisdom: Meat

In D&C 89: 12 it says "Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly" So, referring to this, do you need meat at every meal? As I have pondered this I have come to the conclusion that you don't! Now you may be thinking " what! an 11 year old girl telling ME what to or not to eat???" but really! Think about it, do you need it? We have found eating vegetables as our main course we have been stronger, have had more energy and have come closer to our Heavenly Father. Now you may be thinking something like this "but what about protein?" Well, Fruits and Vegetables have more protein then you may think. And you can still have all sorts of Yummy foods like this that we had today for lunch as the MAIN dish! You HAVE to try it!

So my point: How much meat to we need?

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I'm so glad you commented on that, Olivia! I was thinking about writing a post on some thoughts I have about God and animals, and this post gave me the courage to do it!

It will probably take me a while to actually write my thoughts out, though.

Also, if you think about it, it's not just you as an eleven-year-old saying these things; it's in the scriptures.

It seems easy to understand, but, like Brigham Young says, "The majority of the world of mankind would rather be damned than oppose their appetites. They feel like following them at the expense of their salvation." Pretty strong words, I'd say! It seems simple until we're asked to change something we really like doing--like eating a lot of meat.

Like a friend of mine commented, "What would Christmas be without the Christmas turkey?"

Perhaps a celebration about the Savior's birth? I told her I didn't like to get hung up on the food aspect. Although I do enjoy treats, don't get me wrong!

Thank you for posting this!